Tuesday 13 April 2010

"Houston we've had a problem" - 40 Years On

Like many people my age I was gripped by the Apollo 13 mission and successful rescue that took place 40 years ago. It was today in 1970 that first Jack Swigert and then Jim Lovell uttered the words above (often misquoted)! At the time I was 11 and I had no doubts that they would return, because the Americans knew how to run space missions and had never lost an astronaut in space! (Aah! The joys of youth and innocence!) It wasn't until I saw the film "Apollo 13" that I had a fuller realisation of what a truly remarkable achievement it was to get those men back home safely!

Your Tuesday questions are: -

  1. Born today in 1866 in Utah, how was outlaw Robert Leroy Parker better known?

  2. For which film did Sidney Poitier (right) become the first black actor to win the Best Actor Oscar today in 1964?

  3. Peabo Bryson was born today in 1957 and duetted with which female singer on the Oscar and Grammy winning song "Beauty and the Beast"?
Yesterday's Answers: 1. EuroDisney (now Disney Land Paris); 2. "Barcelona"; 3. American Civil War

My book "The Easy Quiz Master"
is available NOW from Amazon and Lulu.

No comments: