Sunday 4 July 2010

Move to Ban Ticket Touts

There seems to be another move afoot to ban ticket touts, but I don't see why! If I legitimately buy a car, a computer, a CD or just about anything else I can sell it on to someone else if I don't want it any more or for any reason I like. So why not the same for a ticket to any sporting or entertainment event? I understand that some people get upset because they suddenly find that they can't buy a ticket for an event they wanted to see, except at an inflated price from a ticket tout. But these people have had ample opportunity to get these tickets when they went on sale, especially in these days of the Internet! For example when Tom Waits last visited the UK (in 2004 for the first time in 17 years) I managed to acquire a pair of tickets on the day they went on sale by persevering and by being patient! According to a Guardian article all 3,400 ticket sold out in half an hour, but I got mine after 50 minutes of trying! My point is, that if you really want to see something you will get hold of the tickets by legitimate means. If you don't (or are too lazy/incompetent) the touts are there to fill a niche in the market! I've never bought from a tout, but I believe that they perform a useful function and they don't always make a profit - just as often they are left with tickets for a show that wasn't as popular as expected, commonly known as a 'tear up' or 'rip up' in the trade!

Your Sunday questions are:-
  1. In which country was the Grand Junction Railway, arguably the world's first long distance railway, opened today in 1837?

  2. Alfredo di Stefano (right) was born today in 1926 and played international football for which THREE countries?

  3. Who married his manager Sharon Arden today in 1982?
Yesterday's Answers: 1. Sir Richard Hadlee; 2. Lisa Simpson ; 3.Laura Branigan

No comments: