Tuesday 9 June 2009

Thomas Paine - 200 Years On

Yesterday marked the 200th anniversary of the death of Thomas Paine, one of the most influential men in the American Revolution - so how come I'd not heard of him before? Well, it appears that by the time of his death he wasn't very popular (only 6 mourners at his funeral) and since then many others seem to have been given more credit for the formation of the United States. Thomas Paine's pamphlet "Common Sense" is cited by some as the single most influential document in persuading delegates of the Continental Conference to Declare Independence.

Tuesday's teasers
: -
  1. Who was the first person to fly across the Pacific Ocean, landing in Brisbane today in 1928?

  2. Actress Natalie Portman (right) was born today in 1981 in Jerusalem and played what character in "Star Wars: Episodes I, II & III"?

  3. Medical Examiner Kay Scarpetta is the creation of which novelist who was born today in 1956?
Yesterday's Answers: 1. Frank Lloyd Wright; 2. "Stronger"; 3. London Heathrow


Come Join Top Sites Tuesday and be #1 on BlogDumps!

The purpose of this Meme is to encourage
Networking between bloggers to have fun while doing it!
Make sure to visit all the other participants and leave comments

7 comments:

Wolfbernz said...

Hi Pete,
I believe this is right!

Between May 31 and June 9, 1928, Charles Kingsford Smith, with C.T.P. Ulm, H. Lyon and J. Warner made the first air crossing of the Pacific from Oakland, California via Honolulu and Suva, to Brisbane, Queensland.

PetesQuiz said...

Thanks for visiting, Wolf. You've given more than I actually needed - well done! (If I'd got any Gold Stars, you'd get one!!)

Cheers,
Pete

Trina said...

Ok.. 1 I didn't know but 2 and 3... hmmm

How about 2) Princess Leah and 3)J D Roth? I think it was really Nora Roberts... Am I Right?

Happy Tuesday!
--Trina

Wolfbernz said...

Thanks Pete for the kind words.

I clicked your button!

Wolf

Nancy Cleveland said...

1) I guessed wrongly...lol
2) No idea.....
3) I'm thinking Patricia Cornwall but on seeing Trina's answer...probably not!

Glad you joined in, Pete! Click!

PetesQuiz said...

Thaks to all for having a go! It's a bit of fun and the answers are now available on today's posting!

I'll be visiting more of your blogs soon - just got back in from presenting a charity quiz.

Pete

AngelBaby said...

Wow, what a great post. I don't have any of the answers except for the one about star wars I think it was leah too!

here's your click ...

Love and Blessings,
AngelBaby