Tuesday 29 September 2009

BlogDumps Tuesday #27

This week's theme is "My Favourite Thing About Fall"! This is difficult for me as I associate Autumn (as we call it in Britain!) with endings and have never really liked it as a season! It signals the end of the cricket season (the only sport I was halfway competent at!), the nights become longer than the days, the temperature starts to drop, the rain becomes more persistent, winter isn't far away and no more canal trips until next year!

However, I suppose it isn't all bad - the colours of the leaves are usually gorgeous, it's time for Conkers (conkers are the seeds from Horse Chestnut trees - see this link for further explanation) and in a few weeks time it will be bonfire night with the attendant firework displays. So, not so dismal after all!!

Your Tuesday questions are: -
  1. Which American industrialist and philanthropist was declared the world's first billionaire today in 1916?

  2. Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi (right) was born today in 1936 and is owner of which Serie A football team?

  3. Lord Sebastian Coe was born today in 1956 and won Olympic Gold Medals in 1980 and 1984 running over what distance?
Yesterday's Answers: 1. Confucius; 2. "Emmanuelle"; 3. Jennifer Rush


Come Join Top Sites Tuesday and be #1 on BlogDumps!

The purpose of this Meme is to encourage
Networking between bloggers to have fun while doing it!
Make sure to visit all the other participants and leave comments

9 comments:

AngelBaby said...

You got me again, I didn't have an answer to any of them. I love autumn because it is so much cooler than summer, thank God! It is so hot here in the summer, 100 - 105, just toooooo hot for me.

Have a wonderful day!

Here's your click ........

Love and Blessings,
AngelBaby

rubyslippers said...

Your post gives me a wonderful look at UK in the autumn.......and, like Angelbaby, I fell short on answering today's quiz! CLICK!

Liggy said...

I didn't participate this week, but I kinda associate Autumn with an excruciating amount of yardwork. We have about 10 mature trees (not including the smaller fruit trees) in our yard and every year, we have tons of leaves to clean up. Arrgghh!!! It's such a pain, but we prefer to have the shade from the trees during the summer (keeps the house cooler). So we put up with having to rake leaves every fall...

Liggy said...

Oh yeah, here's your click! ;)

maat45 said...

Aaah, Pete! Conkers! I haven't seen conkers in years...I'm pretty sure they have horse-chestnuts here but have never met anyone who made and played the game. I used to love finding them still in their prickly husks. We have hickory nuts in our yard and I'm tempted to try to make a whiz-bang conker out of one of them...lol.
Clicks!

Wolfbernz said...

I too have missed on this weeks quiz!

I do love the tuning of the leaves!
It would be fun to visit there.

Clicks for you!
Wolf

Alice said...

Hey, autumn is not too bad at all...yes the only thing I don't quite like about autumn is that it spells the dawn of winter and the dreadful cold. Other than that, I loved it. I introduced my kids to conkers but they only have chance to play with the plastic commercially produced ones from Toys R us! Click!

Trina said...

Conkers sounds awesome! LOL I can totally see me missing and hitting Wolfbernz now! LMAO

Clicks!!
--Trina

PetesQuiz said...

Thanks for all your comments. Y'know, I hadn't thought about Conkers for ages, so thanks Wolf for helping me remember some fun times!

Pete